Shortbreads cookies are actually not a cookie at all but a biscuit, as any good Scot will tell you! There are no binders nor leavening agents, which result in a short, crumbly texture. When you put a good shortbread biscuit in your mouth, it’s a fall-apart-in-your-mouth, buttery, bite of sweet goodness!
Here is our “secret recipe” we use here and serve at Lavender Life Farm. They are wonderful to bake up fresh and freeze beautifully, for another time. Enjoy!
Lavender Shortbread cookies
Preheat oven to 375.
1. Cream sugar, honey, butter and 1 tbs. lavender extract on medium high
2. Add 1 1/2 cups of flour and mix until smooth
3. Add 2 tsp of ground lavender and mix just until incorporated
4. Turn dough onto a cutting board and knead in the remaining flour, but don’t overwork the dough.
5. Roll out dough to 1/3" and use any shape cookie cutter you like to cut out shapes. Place on baking sheets 1" apart
6. Sprinkle cut shapes with remaining lavender buds and sea salt
7. Bake approx 14 minutes, or until the bottoms are barely changing color
For a finishing touch we drizzle a glaze mixture of 1 tbs of cream, plus 1 tbs lemon juice and 1/2 cup of powdered sugar over the top when cooled.
Lavender Infused Honey, Lavender Buds and Extract can be found here in our Lavender Trio.